HauntedIllinois.com Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
How To Be A Haunt Actor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    HauntedIllinois.com Forum Index » Haunted Attraction Headhunter View previous topic
View next topic
How To Be A Haunt Actor?
Kevin Dells

Post Reply with quote
Dude if your a SERIOUS haunter and your life revolves around it like ours(mine and Lupus's who do this shit 365 days a year, we never stop thinking haunt!) then your totally ready for it when October gets here!

By september 1st my regualr job has been informed that my hours with them will include no overtime,NO saturdays!

My wife and Kids i kiss goodbye until Mid November (being a manager there's work after October at the haunt),my camping gear is packed, cooler loaded, costumes all together in one huge duffel, and make up case clean orderly and restocked ready to go.

By the last weekend of september im driving straight from work at 100 MPH on friday night to get to the haunt as early as possible to start make up on 120+ people, im last getting into make up and costume and usually on the crowd by 8pm as a que line actor, actor manager, and i also do rounds through the haunt all night tweeking the actors and show veiwing it as the patron see's it.

When were done on average between 12 pm and 2 am (our latest night this past season was 3:30 am! ) im back in make up cleaning up for the night putting make up and costumes up for the night, then i set up my camping gear back in the woods and then go to breakfast at the local diner with the gang. The sun comes up and im sipping a few beers just in time to climb in my sleeping bag and crash out for a few hours at 7am. Sleep until 10 am and then get up and grab the golf cart to clean the parking lot of the nights before party and get ready for saturday night all over again.

If i have time i will grab the list from the night before and do repairs that were reported on friday.

The crew starts to show up for make up on saturday early around 3 pm, we do the very elaborate SPFX work on saturdays, some people are in my chair for up to two hours getting ripped out spinal cords and completley removed eyeballs. (the crowd is very pleased by this kind of make up!)

Finish the crews make up by 7pm and show starts and im doing mine again hopefully to finish by 8 pm or earlier, that faster at make up the more you can scare.
Then it's like i typed above hopefully in the tent by 7 am for a few hours sleep,up by 10 am to pack up the camping gear and head home by late afternoon. My haunts a two hour drive thats why the camping gear to far to drive home afterwards on 3 hours sleep the night before.

Thats my typical haunt weekend, i do this 6 weekends in a row. I work a regular job during the week so when i get home from that i try to catch up from lost sleep and visit the family because it starts again on friday all over again.

I even left a lot out, like having to stop for supplys at walmart on the friday drive from work, cooler food to get me through the weekend.

Showering by using a camp shower because we have no running water! Your full of make up and sweat right!

How about rainy nights and cold night or both together, sleeping in a tent in the puring rain after working all day and night, SUCKS BUTT!

But this is what i do because i love to haunt, i live for it !! I wait all year for the chance to pounce on people who think I can't scare them, Hah just watch me chick! your going down!

I made a girl totally pee herself while standing in a crowd of 500 people this past October, she actually said "I can't believe this guy just made me pee myself", and then as she was completing this sentence it started to show on her jeans!

We had one actor that made a drunk girl poop herself half way through, she was so drunk she took off her pants and underwear and threw them up in the tree's and thought we would let her finish the haunt half naked. (she thought wrong, she ended up at the police station)

So this is a little peek into my life during the fall season, theres so much more to add, things i can't even explain like how close the crew gets to one another. Your one huge family!

I took one night off this season and that was Halloween which was midweek, i had worked all weekend and then we stayed open every night up until Halloween, because it was midweek i still had to work my regualr job and drive home to be at my regular job. By Halloween night i was so tired i was falling asleep at the steering wheel, i called in. Luckily it was a slow night.

Other than that i think it was my first night off in 8 years.

Hell Lupus and I when i used to haunt with her,traveled over 1000 miles guest acting in 2005, they did it again this past season and their planning on coming all the way down to me this season in North Carolina and to Netherworld in Georgia that will be right around 3000 miles for them.

I say all this because as a manager when i read what you wrote Grim i wonder if your hearts really even into it, one of your first questions is how do i call in sick and what do i say?

Like Lupus said it's 20 days, your just acting unless you take on more, you go in, somebody does your make up for you, you go home at the end of the night, thats it !!

If you can't give your haunt what they need by working the dates they ask then don't join up, your not cut out for it and their missing a person in a spot that needs a person. It's not like they have 50 extra's sitting there waiting in case half the crew takes the night off, the spots not filled, a scare is lost.

Hope this makes sense to you.

" When it comes to freaky people i win!"

Woods of Terror on Church Street
www.woodsofterror.com
Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
Grim Blade

Post Reply with quote
Wow! That's a long freaking story, Kevin! I can't believe it!!! Sleep on the haunt campground, even getting showered on the camp!! Shit! And, a girl went half-naked herself?!? Whoo!

So, where can I check out to find good haunt places where I can act and get started to play? Should I search it via Google? Or, if you know the name of the websites, feel free to leave it here. Thank you.

HalloweenMaster's Top Horror Lists
Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:58 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LupusGrenwych

Post Reply with quote
You... don't know of any haunts in your area?

'Twas brillig and the slithy toves,
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsey were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe!
Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:53 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kevin Dells

Post Reply with quote
Hauntworld.com has a pretty nice listing of haunts in each state,thats how i found the one im working at now.

Get a map out and go through the listings and find a good one near you so you don't have to camp on the ground like i do.

And yes freaky things do happen at haunts,no doubt about that!

www.woodsofterror.com
Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:37 am View user's profile Send private message
Webmaster

Post Reply with quote
You can also try HauntedHouse.com. They have a pretty good directory, too.

Adam Drendel
Webmaster of HauntedIllinois.com
"The Internet's Only Exclusive Directory of Illinois Haunted Attractions"
Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Grim Blade

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the links. And, to answer the question for you, LG. Actually, no haunted houses in San Diego, but will still do the search to find out wherever I can go.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:11 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LupusGrenwych

Post Reply with quote
That's kind of an odd thing. Any idea why there aren't any?

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:50 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Grim Blade

Post Reply with quote
Someone who once lived in my area promoting the haunted house for the full month of October every year all the way there, but I missed them cause they moved a few years ago... I'm trying to look for some haunt places that are nearby my hometown or out of town that is not only too far away, you know? I heard Los Angeles has no haunted places, is that true?? As you know, California is the largest state in this country, and I really hate to drive more than 100 miles! I prefer 50 miles and under only. Well, that sucks!

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:05 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LupusGrenwych

Post Reply with quote
I was unaware that California was the largest state in the country.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:01 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kevin Dells

Post Reply with quote
Grim,

You obviously didn't even look at my suggestion to look how Hauntworld.com.(not sure why i even help here?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes )

Fourth haunt down on the list is the Haunted Hotel in San diego! Looks like a major haunt, good reveiws, haunted house and trail

www.hauntedhotel.com
I have an amazingly slow PC and couldn't get the site to open, but you might be able to.

Their phone # is 619-696-scare

And if you need an e-mail it's on the hauntworld directory under your state, their name.

I wonder if the phone # works as theres an extra number in the last digits

And no i won't call them for you too!

www.woodsofterror.com
Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
Grim Blade

Post Reply with quote
Hey Kev,

?Thanks for the full info... I do appreciate that! I can check all out myself, and I have to do all the rest of the investigation to find more haunts in my area. By the way, I have family up there in Myrtle Beach, SC. I can visit there every summer, but don't know if there are some haunt places out there? Rolling Eyes Don't worry, I don't need your help. I will investigate myself. Very Happy

Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Kevin Dells

Post Reply with quote
Grim Blade wrote:
Hey Kev,

?Thanks for the full info... I do appreciate that! I can check all out myself, and I have to do all the rest of the investigation to find more haunts in my area. By the way, I have family up there in Myrtle Beach, SC. I can visit there every summer, but don't know if there are some haunt places out there? Rolling Eyes Don't worry, I don't need your help. I will investigate myself. Very Happy

Just Ripleys in Myrtle beach man but they suck butt, all automated,no actors!

Not a problem that one i knew of off the top of my head we visited one very much a rip off!

www.woodsofterror.com
Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:53 am View user's profile Send private message
Mistress

Post Reply with quote
I've always wondered about this topic as well...
Thanks for the awesome info Very Happy
You guys are really devoted and it shows at most haunts I go to every year!
I've considered volunteering for a few years now, the time/devotion/blood/sweat/tears doesn't bother me Laughing what I'm not sure I can handle is not having the time to check out all the haunts/attractions we check out each season. Laughing
Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:21 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dover

Post Reply with quote
Mistress wrote:

I've considered volunteering for a few years now, the time/devotion/blood/sweat/tears doesn't bother me Laughing what I'm not sure I can handle is not having the time to check out all the haunts/attractions we check out each season. Laughing

That is a bad part of being in a haunt. Some do open a little later in the season than others do, and that is a good time to check out other haunts. We usually try to go as a group to at least one other area haunt. About half of our cast also participates in a local haunted trail that is a one night deal several weeks before we open.
Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:30 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kevin Dells

Post Reply with quote
Our haunt is closed on sunday so we actually arrange to go through other peopls on sundays, it's a pretty cool deal.

We also stay open the first weekend in November so other haunts can tour ours. Furst weekend in november your thinking.... yep and were usually packed!

www.woodsofterror.com
Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:21 am View user's profile Send private message
Webmaster

Post Reply with quote
Thatís one of the benefits of doing what I do here on this website. Since I am not tied down to working at a haunt, I get to have fun driving around the state, seeing what great creative things all of these haunt groups have put together.

As for haunts being open outside of October, that is a trend that seems to be growing. Over the past five years or so, Iíve seen more haunts being open in September and now also in November. Of course this year youíre going to see a lot more events open in November, since October 31st is on a Friday. Overall, though, Iíve seen more and more events opening up on non-October dates, which is good for everybody from event owners to patrons!

Adam Drendel
Webmaster of HauntedIllinois.com
"The Internet's Only Exclusive Directory of Illinois Haunted Attractions"
Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:15 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mistress

Post Reply with quote
I think it's a great idea to remain open at least for the weekend after when Halloween falls around the end of the week Very Happy I'm always disappointed when the season is over - it goes by much too quick. I can believe that the haunts would be packed if there was an extra weekend before or after or even both...for us anxious people who can't wait for the end of September and who are sad to see October wiz by:lol:
I know by the end of August, I'm already planning on what to pull out for my yard decor and what I need to improve/make.

That idea for Sundays is a good one..do you guys have time to do many or just a select one or two?
Going with your groups would give a good op to compare notes on what everyone else is doing too.

This website is great and you do an awesome job both here and on the myspace - I don't always post much, but I check this and the myspace pages often.
I have to admit, you have an awesome job!
Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:30 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kevin Dells

Post Reply with quote
Mistress we usually only get one haunt a sunday in because we pick the larger shows and travel to them.

And agreed Adam does a dam nice job with Haunted Illinois, only website like it thats dedicated to their state as much as he is. Yes other states have them but his is complete and not thrown together like most.

www.woodsofterror.com
Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:43 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    HauntedIllinois.com Forum Index » Haunted Attraction Headhunter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: