HauntedIllinois.com Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
"I found Your Sign, Jim!"

Reply to topic    HauntedIllinois.com Forum Index » General Discussion View previous topic
View next topic
"I found Your Sign, Jim!"
jim warfield
Haunt Legend

Post "I found Your Sign, Jim!" Reply with quote
Said Jessica, my wife, recently.
"What sign?"
"The one with the word "GARGOYLE" on it."
"???"
"I found it sticking out of the dirt behind the house, I knew it must be your sign with a word like "GARGOYLE" on it!
"I have no idea what you are referring to."
Behind Ravens Grin was this town's garbage dump from about 1912 (When the dam broke for the last time) to 1961 when they decided to not try to fill in a river valley with trash and crap of all kinds.
There was this old sheet of steel looking at us from under a large tree. Putting one's head right next to the rotten and twisted trunk "GARGOYLE" could be red with much Red paint visible ("RED", so it Must be something to do with a Haunted House! Right?)
She and I spent 5 hours today (both 5 hrs.) trying to remain on a very steep mushy hill as we dug, scraped, prodded and pulled to free up this sign. Some tree roots had even grown right through some rust holes in the sign and were difficult to saw off. Numerous rocks of all sizes and shapes were also hindering anything like "Quick" or "Easy" from happening. Some of the earth was still frozen too.
(So how did I get those tree roots to grow super-fast if I put the sign there under such a big tree? I must be VERY TRICKY?)
"GARGOYLE" was a brand of gasoline in the 1920's made by the new oil company called "MOBIL OIL" There are two representations of Gargoyles on the sign , which measures 6ft. 10 in. by 20 inches.
It has a perfect round hole in the sign for the price-wheel to be installed (She found that the day before , I guessed it might be a railroad sign?)
So you would reach behind the sign, turn the black wheel with white numbers to line up with the hole to read 21cents or 22 Cents or 19 Cents (a gallon) Then there is a blank area on the price wheel to use as a chaulk board for any number if that was the price.
The sign is ceramic coated so I guess that might be why it's paint has of yet to show signs of fading?
A local antique dealer offered her $150 for it . There is much abuse damage to it, it is not perfect at all, she might not even wish to sell it after I told her I hope to always remember this day with her as we worked side by side doing very hard physical labor in the first nice, sunny, warm day,sharing loving smiles and communications the entire time! It was a beautiful time to be with the one that you love, and it is my Wife!

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:38 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    HauntedIllinois.com Forum Index » General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: