HauntedIllinois.com Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
How To Be A Haunt Actor?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    HauntedIllinois.com Forum Index » Haunted Attraction Headhunter View previous topic
View next topic
How To Be A Haunt Actor?
Grim Blade

Post How To Be A Haunt Actor? Reply with quote
Can you help me how should I become a haunt actor? How can I get started doing it? Is it through interview, e-mail to any haunted houses, or convention?

Well, I only wanted to know how to go about being an actor at the haunted house or any haunt places. What should I do? And, I don't mean to be the horror film star! Laughing

HalloweenMaster's Top Horror Lists
Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:17 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Kevin Dells

Post Reply with quote
Knock on their door, thats a start!

This time of year you"ll probably be better off sending an e-mail though.

They will probably just tell you to come in and audition in september.

Most good haunts do audition, at least ours does put you through intense auditions just to weed out the fakes and the die hards.
We don't want to hear " I have a headache, i lost my voice, im Hot, Im cold" Two hours into the night.
Tough Crap,suck it up we have a show to put on! The customer could care less that your dog died,seriously. Your a monster and monsters have no weakness.

We worked one night in a downpour so heavy our make up was gone in 20 minutes but the customers kept coming so we had to keep going.

A few things to keep in mind.
1. your giving up every weekend in October and possibly september due to training

2. You will not sleep except during the week, weekends you might get short naps but full night sleep is a joke.

3. If you have a steady girlfreind kiss her goodbye or talk her into coming with you because you won't be seeing her for a month.

4. You won't get paid squat !!!

5. You will make some great freinds and have some great times if you survive, that i promise.

And it really is surviving, haunt acting is not for everybody some come in strong and ready just to fall flat on their face by the 3rd weekend from exhaustion. If you survive youv'e become part of a great family, if your good you will be invited back, if your really good you"ll have freinds all over the US that respect your work making every minute of hard work worth it!!

Good Luck my freind!

" When it comes to freaky people i win!"

Woods of Terror on Church Street
www.woodsofterror.com
Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
Grim Blade

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips, Kevin!

So, do I have to work really hard or not?

Is it easy to play in the haunted places?

Do I get paid for what I have to do the actions?

What time do I have to get started to work and act?

Do they have all-year round haunted places? Where?

Well, I think I'm very pretty good actor, that's what everybody always saying! Also, they told me I always scare the hell off of them because of my way and my act! I can make strong voices, I mean, lots of noisies! I can scream LOUDER!

BTW, the last question is... do we provide good meal at the haunted place or what? Or, do I have to go out and grab something to eat before going back there?

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:29 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LupusGrenwych

Post Reply with quote
Grim Blade wrote:
Thanks for the tips, Kevin!

-So, do I have to work really hard or not?

To be welcomed back the following year (or kept for more than 1 night) at any haunt (because word spreads quickly through haunt networks) you have to work your ass off. Think back to your first two weeks at your first job. Work like you're getting out of jail early for doing it, with a free visit to a strip club thrown in (no, you don't get to go to a strip club- don't ask).
Grim Blade wrote:

-Is it easy to play in the haunted places?

When you get into the mindset for it, absolutely. The trick is to do what is natural, legal, and generally suggested by those with experience (for starters). The best haunters are the people that don't have to force the ideas and actions (and the ones who enjoy the job the most). Dream Reapers is a great place to see how the actors get into their thing and rip the patron's a new one (no, they are not literally ripping new orifices into the patrons- that is illegal, you will be arrested and banned- don't do it).
Grim Blade wrote:

-Do I get paid for what I have to do the actions?

Absolutely not. Don't even ask for money, it looks bad... unless they invited you or you talked with them in advance about it. If a haunt is volunteer only, you'll know. If they pay, you'll know. More than likely, they're volunteer.
Grim Blade wrote:

-What time do I have to get started to work and act?

Be ready at 5pm... the first of the year. I'm serious.
Grim Blade wrote:

-Do they have all-year round haunted places? Where?

Ravens Grin Very Happy (There's more advertising for you, Jim! Razz)
Grim Blade wrote:

-Well, I think I'm very pretty good actor, that's what everybody always saying! Also, they told me I always scare the hell off of them because of my way and my act! I can make strong voices, I mean, lots of noisies! I can scream LOUDER!

Scaring people around town and scaring people in a haunt are very different. If you're creeping people out because you've got the door to the girl's bathroom open and you're trying to watch girls pee and are groping yourself, that's not what haunts are looking for (true story- ask Kevin. Not me, goofs!). As for noises, screaming, body function- don't depend on them much. Yeah, they're useful, but after ten to twenty good screams (that's the first ten minutes of the night- 6 more hours to go!), you're ready for the cold medicine and a good nap. If you want to depend on being vocal, start training your voice now. Kevin practices by screaming to crappy radio music (sorry, kevin Razz) on the way to and from work.
Grim Blade wrote:

-BTW, the last question is... do we provide good meal at the haunted place or what? Or, do I have to go out and grab something to eat before going back there?

I really don't want to offend by this, but are you serious? Once you get to the haunt for the night (which is usually a number of hours before patrons are even in line to buy tickets) you don't leave untilt he last patron has left and you are told by the haunt staff that you can leave. Some haunts, on some nights, will give out pizza to their actors. Some. No, you don't get to pick what kind of pizza you want, or get it fresh, it will have been sitting there and been touched by other people for at least half an hour before you get to it, but that wont bug you, as you'll be licking dirty walls and gnawing on your filthy fingernails to creep out patrons once you run out of ideas and start spazzing. Bring lots of water. Lots. Live on it. Buy it by the crate, it's cheaper that way.

'Twas brillig and the slithy toves,
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsey were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe!
Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:08 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Grim Blade

Post Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for answering all the questions, LG! Very Happy

Looks like I have to bring more waters, sodas, and maybe, some meals myself.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:27 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LupusGrenwych

Post Reply with quote
No soda. Pop will kill you. Dead. Ouch, Pain. Sugar on a working throat is not a working throat. Lemonade, with as little sugar as possible, if anything, or sport water, if you need flavor, but no pop.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kevin Dells

Post Reply with quote
Carbonation of any kind is not good, like Luus said stick with the east swallowing stuff.

Also when the throat does give out don't go and get chloroseptic sray and think just because it coats your throut and feels better you can keep screaming. Thats a big No-No!
When the throats cheesed the throats cheesed, let it heel itself with time.

And Lupus my music kicks ass!! You want to learn how to scream you need to sing along to music that screams !! Bullet for my Valentine, Soil, Breaking Bejamin,Mudvayne,Sevendust all good bands to practice screaming to!!

www.woodsofterror.com
Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
Grim Blade

Post Reply with quote
No soda at all???

I do understand what you both were saying... But, first of all, let me ask you one question.

If I get started to work at 5pm, so do I have to eat before work or what? Or, should I wait until the showtime is over?

Hey, what about beer? Whiskey? Just kidding! Very Happy

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:50 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LupusGrenwych

Post Reply with quote
Most haunts will have you arrested if you even smell like booze when you walk in the door (ken, Jim, I said 'most' Razz).

As for food, you'll need a well balanced meal both before and after work. When eating beforehand, though, don't eat anything heavy or too warm. A wrap or something like but filling. Working hard on a full stomach will send you home straight away.

No pop.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:20 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Grim Blade

Post Reply with quote
[quote="LupusGrenwych"]Most haunts will have you arrested if you even smell like booze when you walk in the door (ken, Jim, I said 'most' Razz).

For real??? No joking!?! Shocked

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:47 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LupusGrenwych

Post Reply with quote
No joking. It's the exact same thing as coming into work smelling like you've been drinking. The haunt liable for anything stupid you might decide to do (purposely or accidental) and doing stupid stuff will tarnish their reputation in the community.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:13 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Grim Blade

Post Reply with quote
ok, the question is... Will I get fired from any haunt job if I smell like drink or do drinking on the haunt job? Just curious.

Anyway, will I get a breaktime, like 15 or 30 minutes? If so, please lemme know.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LupusGrenwych

Post Reply with quote
You would be fired AND arrested at many haunts. The haunts I've worked tend to have 15 minutes as the maximum fr a break, with 1-2 of them per night, and maybe a third one if the night goes past 8 hours.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:19 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Grim Blade

Post Reply with quote
What??? Whoa! I cant believe if I smell like any alcohol drinks on me, then I will get fired, plus getting arrested?!? Is that the haunt owner or the supervisor idea to do that to call cops?

Anyway, the next question is... If I get sick when doing the act in any haunt industries, will I get dismissed or what?

Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:21 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LupusGrenwych

Post Reply with quote
Why does it shock you that if you arrive at a job smelling like liquor that you would be dismissed?

Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:03 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Grim Blade

Post Reply with quote
LupusGrenwych wrote:
Why does it shock you that if you arrive at a job smelling like liquor that you would be dismissed?

Ok, just forget about drinking and I am not talking about being dismissed from drinking alcohol. I mean, if I get sick like cold/flu, fever, terrible headache, something like that, then should I contact the haunt owner?

Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:12 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Kevin Dells

Post Reply with quote
Grim,

As Lupus said this shouldn't shock you about the drinking. If you work at any job in the world except maybe a bartender (customers do buy you shots) you will be sent home and possibly dismissed for the night or possibly the season.

Here's the thing i think you missing man, Haunts even though many think are childish places to play scary guy are in fact a bussiness.

Customers and actors both think this is a place to go and goof off, thats why guys like me who manage haunts will keep a very sharp eye out for actors who may have been drinking because of just what Lupus said.

Actors weilding weapons such as running chainsaws (even without a chain) can be very dangerous! So your running a saw in the chainsaw schene, youv'e snuck a couple of beers to your spot and you stumble towards a female patron with long hair. You snag her hair in the recoil of the running saw and remove a huge chunk of her hair and scalp in the process.

You tell us who's responsible when it's all said and done?

You might get bitched at by the owner and yes possibly arrested and at least dismissed, but the owner is the last in line because he for one hired you, he's responsible for his haunt being safe,keeping the patrons from being injured and providing the crowd with a great show.

The OWNER gets the lawsuit, the owner gets the bad publicity in the newspaper, and the owner possibly gets shut down and losses his lease on the building he's renting, the owners insurance goes up and many more things. ESPECIALLY if an actors been drinking!
Incidental accidental accidents do happen and 99% of the time the patron understands this and does nothing to the haunt, but something happening like that is a sure lawsuit!

Again as a manager of a huge haunt with 120+ actors, i will fire anybody with the smell of alchohol on their breath before work (we do have a beer or two after the nights over and talk war story's) and if your high on pot you get the same thing.

Bye, see you later, NO PAY!!!!! Almost every haunt i know has a contract you have to sign that states this,ours most certainly does.

Pot is illegel, you will be arrested regrdless.

Haunts are a bussiness, they have very short season, you make all your money in 30 days thats it!

Thousands and possibly millions are invested into it by one single person and we guard it with our lives!!

www.woodsofterror.com
Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
LupusGrenwych

Post Reply with quote
Grim Blade wrote:

Ok, just forget about drinking and I am not talking about being dismissed from drinking alcohol. I mean, if I get sick like cold/flu, fever, terrible headache, something like that, then should I contact the haunt owner?

Do you call the boss to your regular job when you have those symptoms?

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Grim Blade

Post Reply with quote
LupusGrenwych wrote:
Grim Blade wrote:

Do you call the boss to your regular job when you have those symptoms?

Yes, I do! I always call my boss about my health reasons, but not so often.... It s like a day or 2, but 3 days if I recall... Even, in case of my family emergency, I can always ask my boss for that reason. My boss always dismisses me for any reasons I ask for... But, if I absent from work for more of times, then I think I will be terminated. Maybe my boss will give me a second chance, if necessary because I am always a good worker! Very Happy

Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:02 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LupusGrenwych

Post Reply with quote
So there are 20 acting days in October, generally, and we'll be silly and say 200 working days in a year, for a regular job. For every one day of haunting you miss, it's like calling in to your regular job twenty days. Assuming you get vacation or sick days, that takes up a good number of them (if not all), so by the time you get to missing 2 days, you've basically missed 40 days of your regular job. That's over a month of work.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:16 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    HauntedIllinois.com Forum Index » Haunted Attraction Headhunter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: