HauntedIllinois.com Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Haunt Workers

Reply to topic    HauntedIllinois.com Forum Index » General Discussion View previous topic
View next topic
Haunt Workers
Kull200BC

Post Haunt Workers Reply with quote
Why is it when I look through the reviews of the different haunted houses I can always tell which ones came from rival haunts and which one came from real patrons. Why is it we must bash each other to make ourselves or our haunts look better. If all we do is tear each other down the real people we want to come out and see our events will stop coming. Why not help each other out because we have enough people who would actually like to see us all gone and what would October be like if we let that happen?

We are all in this together lets make all these haunts great attractions and put Illinois on the map.

Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:02 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
freakymom04

Post Reply with quote
I couldn't agree more. Up to this point I have kept which haunt I am working for out of this because of that. However as things seem to change so much in our world I have decided to come forward sort of.

I am from a jaycee haunt. And I am finally speaking up because I respect the reviews posted here but also feel its time for a little education.

Jaycee haunts were brought about for our kids and they are constantly learning. I agree they are not always on cue or scarey, but who is? In looking at the reviews that put the kids down, Im ashamed and scared, because I want them to learn and not give up. As with the adults they are always doing thier best. To tell someone not to go there was a little below the belt since the overall satisfaction and reviews have been good.

State the facts, the experience wasnt up to par, so we can teach our kids but what happens to them if we shut down, or others shut down because of rivalry, we all loose in the end.

Topcat, I so respect your reviews and I am sorry our kids were not right on for you, however as people have siad...you cant scare everyone all the time. We had a big crowd the night you were in and I know for a fact we scared a lot people. I hope if you visit in future years these kids will get better and better. At the same time I hope that for all the actors all over the place.

To the kids who read this, keep up the awesome work!!!
Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:21 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ApathyNow

Post Reply with quote
I have to agree.
No show is exactly the same and that is what people don't expect. Some like tons of gore, some like theatrics, some like statles, and some like to laugh. I have seen many mixed reveiws coming from a house on the same night. Many people have complemented on what the see and other just say it sucks.
If you are an actual customer, why would you just say it sucks. There is no meaning to it. We want to hear why you didnt like the show. Another thing is that no haunt is so bad that it deserves a one rating(or here its five), except maybe that trailer show that Adam got to see over the summer(laughs at the pointlessness of that little thing).
People put lots of time, money and blood into creating a haunt for the masses. No one deserves to be totaly bashed for their show.
No actor should go out and bash other houses and try to make thier house look better.It is only yourself and your house look bad because you have to make someone else look bad.

Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:48 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
corypark

Post Reply with quote
spoken like a true genius, ben...very well said.

Cory Parkinson
Actor--Eleventh Hour
Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:25 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Ken Spriggs

Post WOW Reply with quote
Kull I have been saying this for who knows how long.

We have all been watching the reviews and often scratch our heads wondering what haunted house they went through. Most give a review based on a past visit or they post because a friend told them.
Some and most reviews that are bogus---you can tell. There is no specifics or they have the info totally wrong. Some are haunt actors who knows where the rest come from.

The real reviews state specifics--likes and dislikes---not "they suck" "yankee capitalistic pigs" I could go on

I do also agree with Ben (oh no) no haunt who has the guts to open a haunt should not get 1 in a rating. They tried it is at least a 2 for effort.
There is always room for improvement even for the BEST haunt.

One question I would like to ask.

WHAT DO YOU WANT IN A HAUNT?

Black walls? Dark? What scares you--if you want all of us to step up---what do you want?

Getting along with other haunts?
We do---ask some of them.

Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:59 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BADOMENFX

Post Reply with quote
It's so nice when we play together,I agree let's put Il. on the map Twisted Evil

Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:25 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Kull200BC

Post Reply with quote
I work for Rockford Screamfest. And like most of us working for a haunted house I enjoy seeing the detail and work someone puts into a haunt. I like seeing what works well as a scare for them and what doesnt. Also, like others have metioned no one deserves a bad rating because there is always something neat you can pull from any haunt. This board should be more like one big happy family were we can share and get new ideas from each other. That way we can avoid our real customers saying we suck.
Mainly, I would really like to see everyone just get along. The fighting that we cause among ourselves will eventual be all of our demise. Lets try and make this board something special for our haunts and put all of our petty differences behind us.

Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:49 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
topcat240

Post Reply with quote
To freakymom04,

First off let me say thank for your kind words about my reviews.

Quote:
Topcat, I so respect your reviews and I am sorry our kids were not right on for you, however as people have siad...you cant scare everyone all the time. We had a big crowd the night you were in and I know for a fact we scared a lot people. I hope if you visit in future years these kids will get better and better. At the same time I hope that for all the actors all over the place.

Though I do not know which Jaycees you come from but if it is Westmont Jaycees my major complaint with the kids (actors) was the lack of costumes and/or masks and/or make-up. I have long since stopped attending haunted houses for the “scare factor”. In all of my reviews I never judge or mention anything concerning “scares”. At every attraction we have gone to this season at least one person in my group has jumped at least once. I attend for every aspect of a haunt because I enjoy it all. I attend for the scenery, the imagination behind the scenes, the “new” factor because things have to constantly change, seeing the people in the crowd (some in my own group) jump during the wait entertainment and the haunt, and much more. But mostly, I go to enjoy this time of year and to spend time doing something that I have always found fun, with people I enjoy spending time with.

To everyone,

I hope that the reviews that I have furnished have been helpful and informative. I am truly unbiased and do not favor any one haunt. Moreover, I attend as many haunts as possible each year and try to write constructive criticism. I try to switch it up as much as possible each year so not to attend the same attractions over and over, while giving other haunts a chance. Furthermore, I also try to point out positives along with my criticisms in every review so they you can strengthen what is working. Believe me I understand the work that you guys put in and thank you for providing a medium for my entertainment. If there is anytime that you would like further info or clarification on a review, feel free to PM me.

And as always Happing Haunting.
Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:52 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
freakymom04

Post Reply with quote
Topcat,

Yes it is/was the Westmont Jaycees, and if the costumes and make up were the problems then it should be fixed. Thank you for the constructive critisim and that part I sincerly hope people will listen too.

Happy Haunting
Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:26 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
trailguy1

Post Reply with quote
ok i have to post on this topic just real quick I do wish that all haunts in IL could work together....but there is one problem behind all of this TRUST. When you open a business you dont trust people from businesses similar to yours especially in the same area. Do you think McDonalds advertises for Burger King...NO. I wish it wasnt this way but a business is very important to me Trail of Screams has been my life for 3 years now and haunted houses have been my life for 7 years now, and in that time all I have seen in Rockford for sure is back stabbing, lieing, sneaking, stealing, whatever it maybe all other haunt owners or haunt workers nows that this business is dirty, no one plays fair, You never now who to trust. Reasons why Trail of Screams will possibly work alone for along time.

Evan

Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:00 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Angela di Sangue

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Ken: One question I would like to ask.

WHAT DO YOU WANT IN A HAUNT?

You always have those who won't be happy until they see an actual human sacrifice.

What works - all comes down to element of surprise. We did a poll on our site and that was the #1 thing people picked on "what scares you the most."

We had too many people one night. All the rooms had actors, we had actors in queue lines, roaming, etc... so we needed a place to put folks so we threw a couple in our dark maze in black robes (where we usually don't have actors)... they had bloodied makeup-jobs on their faces and when people got close they flicked on a small flashlight - and people FREAKED out. Something so little like that can go a long way. You could hear folks try to run from them and running themselves into walls. :chuckle:

Nikki
Production Team
THE FEAR

"Baby, this blood's for you."
Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
ljchaunter

Post Reply with quote
I normally try to keep opinions to myself, but I have to respond to Trailerguy1. I believe you are right. McDonalds probably will never advertise for Burger King, I will give you that. As for haunts, I have found that working together can be beneficial. I belong to the Lincoln Jaycees and joined the Haunted Heartland group 2 years ago. This group consists of several area haunts like Creatures Crypt, Spider Hill, Rochesters Boo Crew, Peoria Jaycees, Auburn Haunted House, Lincoln Jaycees Fear Fair, Terror on Washington Street just to name a few. We advertise for each other. All fliers, posters or PR material that you wish to distribute is gladly displayed in waiting areas. We are a small haunt in compariasons to some of the above mentioned, but we have seen attendance rise two fold. At the rate we are going, we look to double attendance in the next two years. Not saying this is all related to the HH group but it hasn't hurt us.

As far as being in competiton with each other, yeah I suppose we all strive to be the best, it is human nature. But I would rather have a successful year and be able to say we helped someone else be successful as well. We never down other haunts. If someone asks us we tell them what we know and offer directions. If they are asking us this in our waiting area, after they paid, where did that just hurt us? We made our admission and just referred money to another haunt. It really is a win-win situation. People are going to do their research on websites such as this and will travel great distances to attend these events. Why would anybody not offer them information that might make there journey easier? In fact, next year we are looking to try offering a map that shows routes from our haunt to others in our group.

I think once people stop reading these reviews and taking everything to heart, the negative reviews will stop. Once this happens, maybe everyone can harness their negative energy and start working together to help all haunts, big or small. We can't compete with bigger haunts but the one thing Haunted Heartland has done for us is educate us and made us feel as an equal. We have made some great friends and learned so much. I challenge those of you that can't get along, put your differences aside and try it for 3 years. If you don't see results after this honest effort, than I will personally apologize for wasting your time. I believe I won't have to say I am sorry to often though.
Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:46 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
trailguy1

Post Reply with quote
yes where you are it may be great to advertise with the haunts you have but you have not been in my shoes for the past 3 years we have ran into nothing but problems around here in rockford. in this area it seems as if the haunts are gangs and you dont step onto each others territories. Our haunt has been robbed by another haunt. My personal friends have been jumped by members of the haunts, this has become a dirty business a business that is almost not worht being involved in. but i love doing it no mateer what differences i have with someone you can not drag me out of this I am here and i am not going anywhere...sucks dont it. Get used to it.
The way i look at things is i would love to work with other haunts in our area but it will never work because of the problems we have had. so i leave you all with just a friendly good bye and i will see you all soon.
Evan Reifsteck

Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:28 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Don ehe 11th

Post Reply with quote
ApathyNow wrote:

People put lots of time, money and blood into creating a haunt for the masses.

I was run over by a Time machine Wink
Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
LordOfGotham

Post Reply with quote
Yes Don,

but am I driving it when it will have happened to ran over you?

(tricky thing, quasi-temporal syntax.)

Or was this a Time Machine in the past trying to get back to the future?

Maybe someone just dropped a British Police Box on your head...you weren't doing your Dalek impression again, were you?

Or perhaps you were mugged by Time Bandits? The effect is much like being run over by a vehicle of some sort.

As the Voyagers have inscribed on thier omni-chonographs, Time and Tide Wait for No Man.

Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:25 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
rockfan15

Post Reply with quote
Alright calm down evan!

Let us face the facts and review somethings!

Now Trail of Screams has been operating for 3 years! We have things happening to us that 10+ old haunt experience later in there life! Does this spark interest in anyone? It does me and it made me think. Is it just the people in the haunts? No, it isn't we were on good terms with...Okay I will say it Randy from Screamfest! He came and talk to the trail in its first year! Is it the community? No, seeing how the mayor did a media pool at the trail giving out grants for children! So what is it? Why is Trail of Screams foiled with these attacks and problems? Could it be that we have a new take on the haunted experience that has only been attempted in theme parks? Is it our detail of which we strive to achieve? Is it that not just having people jump out at you that there is plot and you understand why they are jumping out? Is it that beside being in a safe warm buliding that we make our pardons stand in the dark woods? Is it that we have archieved a state of being a cut above the rest? It is your decison of why we can't get along. But before anyone attacks us or states that haunt is better look at there archievements and learn!

Thank you!

Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:58 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
LupusGrenwych

Post Reply with quote
I wasn't aware that we (the members of the board) we still heated up about this topic. I also wasn't aware that you had any reason to feel threatened.

And no need to mention names, since we're all professionals here.

Cheers.

'Twas brillig and the slithy toves,
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsey were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe!
Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:07 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ken Spriggs

Post Well Reply with quote
It looks like someones underwear is in a bunch again.

Look T.O.S. people have been taking shots at us since we opened--who cares? You know what you do and why you do it. Who really gives a rats ass if someone in another haunted house doesn't like your haunt?

There is a large amount of actors--or shall I really say KIDS that work at haunts that say and do things that owners are unaware of.

It is all petty kid stuff

If it makes you feel good---we will cross promote your haunted house---up for it? You match 1 to 1 on our advertising $ and we will split everything down the middle.
What is the purpose of your post?

It doesn't seem to make a point except to say you are better than all the other haunts--that will get you nowhere.

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:42 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rockfan15

Post Reply with quote
I am sorry that you got the idea that I thought we were the best. Oh we got a long way to go and it will take lots of work. I hope nobody has a bad view on the trail and if they do I extend a sorry because bad blood is a natural in our business and we need to change it. Rockford haunts need work to get along and trail of screams does too! I myself is on good terms with all Rockford haunts! I want all them to archieve! It be the first in tons of Rockford problems that we fix. Love your local haunts!

I leave with this

"Hold your friends close, Hold your enemys closer"

Live and haunt

Check out what is scary message boards! Http://whatisscary.cjb.net

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:50 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
LupusGrenwych

Post Reply with quote
Somehow that just isn't very convincing.

'Twas brillig and the slithy toves,
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsey were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe!
Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:53 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    HauntedIllinois.com Forum Index » General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: